How old can a Youtuber be?
YouTube is a free platform where one can get maximum freedom; one can reach the whole world.
But nothing is going better without some restrictions. Every platform should have restrictions; YouTube also has. Age limitation is one of them.
YouTube officially says that children less than 13 year old can not create their own YouTube channel.
Is there any age limit to be a Youtuber?
When anyone asks if there is any age limit to be a YouTuber, we may say no.
But is it really true? Absolutely not.
YouTube has some boundaries regarding age. Children under 13 years old are not allowed to create YouTube channels due to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
While most of the video categories and genres on YouTube are 13+, meaning that anyone over the age of 13 can create and watch those videos, there are some categories that can only be created and viewed by people over the age of 18 or 21 depending on the jurisdiction.
These categories are videos involving guns, slight nudity, or games/animations that showcase blood, violence or gore.
Note that just creating a channel is half the battle, to start earning money, you need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours in the past year. Buy 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch hours now to skip the wait and start earning right away.
Reasons for these age boundaries
The reason why YouTube has such strict boundaries regarding age on some categories is because these might be dangerous or disturbing to young audiences. Videos with guns are dangerous and hence, any video containing a physical firearm cannot feature children in it.
Videos containing nudity, violence or gore could potentially be disturbing for children.
As a guardian, what do you have to do to create a YouTube channel for your child?
- If your child wants to open a YouTube channel, ask him/her the purpose; why he/she wants to create a YouTube channel. If the child wants to express their talents like acting, dancing then encourage your child. Because it can help to build a bright future for your child.
- But there is not any restriction for the parents. They can create an account for any child. Parents can create a Gmail account for their child who is under 13 years old. You can create only a YouTube/ Youtube Kids account for your child but you are not allowed to create a YouTube channel for your child unless you’re the one who will be using and managing the channel.
- For privacy, go to the privacy settings. It will help to keep everything private. Only the people who are invited to view the channel are able to see the videos. This is the importance of privacy settings. The comment section may affect children; so turn off the comment section if required.
- Parents need to keep a close eye on their child. Be careful what they are doing on this social media platform. Try not to show their faces on YouTube videos. Make sure they don’t post anything containing personal information like their address, school etc.
- Always notice them and view all their videos. By doing this you will be aware if they make any mistake and they are also encouraged by thinking that you see their videos.
How can a kid be a successful Youtuber?
If you think how your kid can be a successful YouTuber, here some tips are for you.
Think what you want to create
Before creating a video, think about the topic of the video; think which topic is suitable for your kids. If your child has any ideas, examine that carefully if there is anything wrong or have personal information. You can get plenty of ideas from social media.
Make videos with your kid
For a kids YouTube channel, it’s important that you make your presence shown that indeed, a guardian adult is present with a child who’s being featured in a YouTube video.
Make your children aware
Be Aware and make your children aware about their privacy. Teach them what they should and should not be doing on the Internet.
If your child performs well, cheer them on. Encourage their work.
If your child considers him as a competitor on the YouTube platform or thinks of earning money, it can badly affect their minds; it can create their psychological problem. So be careful about these.